Join the Writing Pad community!

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

T-Day Recipe From Adel: 11/24/09

Take one of these one-day gourmet writing classes with Aaron Henne in December. You get an amazing class plus we serve Adel's (pictured above) out of this world brunch tasting plates. Adel is the Writing Pad Executive Chef. Her caramel baked French toast, chilaquiles, or potato latkes (my Jewish Momma's recipe) will inspire the best writing you've ever done. The classes are a decadent deal:
Sign up by calling 323-333-2954 or emailing marilyn@writingpad.com. They are almost full!

Ahem, may I have a drum roll please? Anyone who has tried Adel's fantastic cooking and baking has become instantly addicted to it. Many of you have asked me time and time again if Adel will divulge her recipes. Now, she has agreed to share a recipe once a month with all of you.

This month, Adel is giving you a delicious dessert that you can use for Thanksgiving: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread. Thanks, Adel! I might have to try making that for my in-laws--perhaps the bread will work magic and soothe family dinner table tensions. Chocolate always makes me feel more relaxed. ;)
Adel says,
"This recipe is adapted from the King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion. It's perfect for the holidays because it makes two loaves - one to give away and another to keep for yourself. Or you can do as I do and make mini-loaves for your friends, family, and co-workers. It is not too sweet or dense like some quickbreads and takes only minutes to throw together."

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups (1-15 oz. can) pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2/3 cup (5 1/4 oz.) water
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup lightly toasted walnuts or pecans, chopped
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (I use a mixture of milk and semisweet chocolate)

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large bowl, mix together the sugars and oil. Beat in the eggs, then the pumpkin, water, and vanilla extract. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices and stir in. Fold in the nuts and chips.

Pour into two 9x5 inch lightly greased loaf pans. Bake approximately 1 hour (less for smaller loaves) or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Cool loaves in the pans on a rack. When completely cool, remove bread from the pans.

This bread tastes better when wrapped in plastic and stored at room temperature overnight.

In the comments, tell us about your experience of baking the bread or tell us what your favorite Thanksgiving desserts are. Or, what is your favorite Adel dish or dessert from class? The best comment of November on this blog wins a free 2.5 hour class!

8 comments:

Seen Robinson said...

My wife Amy takes Writing Pad classes and I've snuck into some of the after parties and helped myself to Adel's gourmet food. By now everyone knows me because I keep coming back to the parties (for the food and wine). I don't plan on telling them why, so, please keep this between us. Otherwise, they might cut me off. (it'll be our little secret :)

Writing Pad said...

I'm posting this for David Fertik b/c he had technical difficulties with posting a comment:
"At the last class we had Adel's heavenly chilaquiles. I heard Mariachi music in my ears and started speaking in tongues. First in Spanish and then in Latin as I
fell to my knees and prayed to the Virgin Mary, in exaltations of Thanksgiving. And I'm Jewish!"
- David Fertik

Writing Pad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Writing Pad said...

These are fantastic, well written comments. Seen, your post is hilarious and so mysterious! Don't worry, I won't cut your narrator off--that would be cruel and unusual punishment (to be separated from Adel's food).

David--I love love love your post. I love what happens to the narrator when he eats the Chilaquiles. It's so wonderfully extreme!

I empathize with the narrator--Adel's Chilaquiles have a similar effect on me. They are so damn good! No one else's Chilaquiles compare--I've tried ordering them at restaurants and they just don't measure up.

Marilyn

kenny benjamin, m.a. said...

Every little Jewish boy born in the 60's dreams of two things and two things only....

Jaqueline Bisset's white t-shirt from the opening sequence of the film, The Deep, and of the perfect Chocolate Babka Bread Pudding.

I have traveled the 4 and 1/2 corners of the world in search of the perfect Chocolate Babka Bread Pudding, I have tasted Babka at the feet of the former sous chef to the Shay of Iran at an undisclosed location in the Bekka Valley during the Intifada...I have braved the strange and benevolent current of the river nile to sample the delicacies of the former second cousin to the pastry chef at the court of Versailles....I have traisped through the dense brush and lush foliage that makes up the gardens at Martha Stewart's hidden Himalayan Hideaway and yet I have found the King of all Chocolate Babka Bread Pudding's existed in the heart of my mother and her dogged quest to search through all of O Magazine's glorious recipes to discover that which is celebrated by pop culture Icon Oprah Winfrey herself...and it was on that day, at that time, in that place, where I tasted perfection...it was at that moment that I touched the face of God....Oprah's Chocolate Babka Bread Pudding....really, eating has never been the same since.......

a holiday fable brought to you by the caring people at Archers Daniel Midland...

Writing Pad said...

Kenny,
I love this post. It is so imaginative and funny! The opening is terrific. I especially love the description of places the narrator has had Babka and the mention of O Magazine. I want that Babka Bread Pudding!

You just reminded me that Adel makes a fantastic Babka. We'll have to ask her if she's willing to make it for one of the classes.

Anyone else, favorite Thanksgiving desserts? Mine are this creamy cranberry jello that my sister makes (sounds weird, but it is gooood) and warm apple pie with some vanilla bean ice cream. I actually just had the most yummilicious warm apple cake with fennel cream and vanilla bean ice cream at Domenico's in Silverlake. It was sooooo good!

Keep 'em coming folks.

Ernessa T. Carter said...

I'd definitely have to say that sweet potato pie is my Thanksgiving must have. I have the best SIL in the world and she made me one, even though no one else wanted to eat it, preferring pumpkin pie instead. But anywho, in a moment of great inspiration, she decided to put orange zest in it, and don't tell my family back in St. Louis, but it was hands down the best sweet potato pie I have ever eaten.

Writing Pad said...

Mmmmm,that sweet potato pie sounds so yummy, Ernessa! I LOVE the orange zest in your story and that it was an baking experiment turned into an eating triumph. Thanks for posting!