by Adel Aschenbrener and Amy Robinson
Don't get your latkes in a twist! Relax at Writing Pad with delicious literary treats. Our yummy winter classes will coax the spirits of holiday cheer out of your pen and onto the page:
Dec./Jan. One Day Classes:
- Hello World, Welcome to my Blog (Sat., Dec. 11)
- Fruitcakes and Turkeys - Write Out The Holiday Season (Thurs., Dec. 16)
- It's All About You: One-Person Solo Show Workshop--1 Day (Thurs., Jan. 6)
- Mini Writing Staycation with Judy Reeves (Sat., Jan. 8, Sun., Jan. 9)
- And You Thought Your Family Was F@&ked Up: Developing Compelling Characters From Real Life (ONLINE--Wk of Jan. 17)
- Mini Writing Pad Boot Camp . . . With Dessert (ONLINE--Wk of Jan. 24)
- So You Want To Be A Writer (Wed. p.m., Fri. a.m., Sat. a.m.'s)
- Finishing School (Wed. p.m., Fri. a.m., Sat. a.m.'s)
- Your Life On The Silver Screen (Tues. p.m.'s)
- It's All About You: One-Person Solo Show Workshop--4 wk (Thurs. p.m.'s)
- Your Name In Print: Get Your Work Published (Sun. a.m.'s)
- How To Be A Writer Who Writes (Featuring Judy Reeves - Fri. Jan 7)
- Write Your Novel This Year (Featuring Ernessa T. Carter, Ron Koertge, Attica Locke and Janelle Brown - Fri., Jan. 14)
For the December recipe, Adel helps those of us in a time crunch and with pot-luck commitments. Here's her simple recipe for decadent Flourless Chocolate Cake.
Adel says, "The holidays are upon us, and with them, the inevitable question of what to bring to the numerous parties we find ourselves obligated to attend. This cake is my go-to emergency dessert. It's rich without being heavy, elegant without being fussy, and best of all, impossibly easy to make. For an extra festive touch, try cutting some snowflakes out of paper and sifting some powdered sugar on top for a stenciled effect."
Flourless Chocolate Cake (adapted from Epicurious)
12 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate
6 ounces (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
6 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9" springform pan & line the bottom of pan with parchment paper.
Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl over a water bath; remove from heat.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat egg yolks and 6 tablespoons sugar until very thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Fold chocolate mixture into egg mixture, then stir in vanilla extract. Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 6 tablespoons sugar, beating until medium-firm peaks form. Fold whites into chocolate mixture in
3 additions. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake cake until top is puffed and dry and tester inserted into center comes out with some moist crumbs attached, about 40-50 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack.
Using a small knife or offset spatula, cut around pan sides to loosen cake. Remove pan sides. Place 9-inch-diameter tart pan bottom or cardboard round atop cake. Invert cake onto tart serving dish. Peel off parchment paper.