Join the Writing Pad community!

Monday, May 6, 2013

Writing Prompt: Irresistible But Inappropriate Love Interests

By Marilyn Friedman

Spring Break is over so I'm trying to hunker down and write in spite of my never ending pile of work. Last week, I took two essay classes and one memoir class that lit a fire under my bootie. They helped me crank out a new memoir chapter, rewrite an essay and get great feedback on my writing. Hooray!

If you'd like to boost your writing productivity and skills, we have a fantastic assortment of classes starting in the next week or so including Writing And Publishing The Personal Essay with successful journalist Taffy Brodesser-Akner who helped 26 students get published so far, and Fiction Bootcamp with award-winning novelist and short story writer Amelia Gray, the only woman to be nominated for a PEN/Faulkner award this year.

Below are the latest class offerings, followed by a free writing prompt inspired by our "Mad Men" TV Drama panel on Friday, May 17th  and my obsession with Don Draper!

May/June Events:
 Classes Starting May 6-15:
Other Classes:

Creative Writing/Multi-Genre
Fiction/Memoir
Journalism/Web Writing
Writing For Actors
Screenwriting

Writing Prompt:
In honor of our TV Drama panel next Friday featuring "Mad Men" writers Michael Saltzman and Jason Grote and "Monk" and "Psych" writer Bill Rabkin, I was inspired to create this writing prompt. In my 20's, I dated my fair share of Don Draper types. Unfortunately, I have plenty of true life experience to draw from for this writing prompt. I can't wait to hear your stories!

Make a list of three people that you dated that you really shouldn't have (e.g. someone who cheated on you, someone who was unavailable, etc.). Note: You could also make up a fictional character! Pick one of your love interests. Now add a specific detail that made this person irresistible (e.g. his lips tasted like Glen Livet, he dipped me down low to the ground like Fred Astaire, he recited Neruda in bed). Now write about your "Don Draper" type for 10 minutes. Make sure to include that specific detail about him or her that made this person irresistible!

Write about someone that you dated that you shouldn't have. Don't forget to share the results of your 10 minute write in the comments of this blog to be entered in the contest for a free class!

No comments: