Join the Writing Pad community!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Writing Prompt 3/30/11: Musical Inspiration

By Marilyn Friedman

It's almost April! Put the spring back into your writing practice at Writing Pad. Call 323-333-2954 to sign up for these classes before they are full!

One Day Classes
Multi Week Classes
Writing Prompt:
Make a list of the first 3 albums or CD's that you or a character from your project owned. Pick one and write whatever comes to mind. Then post your 10 minute write in the comments of this blog! You can see that my first album was Leif Garrett's, "Feel The Need." I will be writing about that.

Comment on this blog! Write about the first album that you owned. You could win a free class!

2 comments:

Writing Pad said...

I can remember listening to my first album on the giant, mahogany stereo that my parents owned that took up half the wall in the living room. I’d put the record on the rubber circle, and drop the needle with a scratch and be instantly launched into 1970’s teeny bopper heaven. Feel the Need by Leif Garrett was my first then Disco Fire was my second. Disco Fire had the Star Wars theme on it and Donna Summer’s “I Feel Love.” The headshot of each musician on the album was outlined in the border of a star. I would listen to these albums, laying on the bright blue wall to wall carpet that left footprints behind every time you walked on it, wearing my Disco Fever short set, a beige tank top and matching short shorts that had white piping around the bottom. I’d imagine myself in a dance club, on roller skates, under a shiny disco ball. It was raining pennies, and I was on a platform with clouds of smoke floating all around me. But in reality, I was only 6 years old so I was far too young to do this.

This was the beginning of my love affair with dance. I watched Adrian Zmed in Dance Fever every Saturday night, and I yearned some day to be on the stage, to shake it outside of my living room next to the dark green sofa encased in thick plastic. I would be in the kitchen, making beef tacos with extra chili powder. B96 played on the radio, swaying my weeble hips back and forth as I sautéed.

Why is it that these markers of the 70’s make me giggle and wince at the same time? Bellbottomed pants, brown and orange tiki curtains, polyester shirts with long triangular collars, tuna casseroles, big, rectangular cars that take up almost an entire block when you park. Who would have thought that we would look back on these things and laugh at what terrible, tacky ideas they were?

Marilyn

Administrator said...

for all custom writing solutions visit this website as our professionals are always ready to help you.