Join the Writing Pad community!

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Writing Prompt: First Literary Crush

By Dalia Martinez


He was in his early 40s. I was 15. It was 2 a.m., and my mom caught me enthralled with him. Atlanta was burning, Melanie was in labor and Scarlett had to get them out because the Yankees were coming. He stole a horse and got them out. I’d already fallen for Rhett Butler, in the library at “Twelve Oaks.” Gone With The Wind was one of those “can’t put down” books and I spent a dry Southern California summer biting nails as I read about the Civil War through the rough-and-tumble romance of Scarlett O’Hara and Rhett Butler.  

A well-rounded character can make inspire strong feelings of hate and love. This Saturday, in A Novel Approach: Tackling The Long Format Writing Project, award-nominated writer Lauren Strasnick shows you how to create characters so vivid, they pop off the page! She'll also help you craft a thrilling arc, irresistible dialog, and sizzling conflict.   
   
Once you have your novel done, you’ll need an agent. This Friday, October 4, join us for a lively discussion with literary agents BJ Robbins of the BJ Robbins Literary Agency and Deborah Warren of the East West Literary Agency.  You'll get a chance to ask questions about the publishing business and what agents look for. It's only $5 and includes all the sangria you can drink. Hope to see you there!
Classes Starting This Week
Writingpalooza: Find Your Literary Mojo
A Novel Approach: Writing The Long Format Writing Project
Press the “Better” Button: Revision and Editing
Marketable Picture Book (5 Wk)

Creative Writing/Multi-Genre
Writingpalooza: Find Your Literary Mojo






Journalism/Web Writing





Writing Prompt:
I’d read “Romeo and Juliet” but Romeo wasn’t like Rhett. Romeo shopped at Bloomingdale’s and got pedicures on Saturday mornings. I liked Rhett’s rugged charms. Just my type of guy. At 15, he became my ultimate literary crush.

For this week’s writing prompt, tell us about your first literary crush. Who was it? Was he or she from a bodice-ripper you couldn’t put down? Or a literary classic that made you re-think every person you’ve dated? Use a sensory detail (e.g. a perfume your crush might wear, a culinary delight your crush might eat, weather your crush would live…). Now for 10 minutes, write about your literary crush, including the sensory detail. Then, post your results in the comments of this blog!
In college, my friends and I compared literary crushes over fizzy peach-flavored wine coolers. Romeo was a popular crush among men and women. Others named ubiquitous characters from books I’d never heard of. “The guy who sells the basket on the road with the story about the witch.” Huh? No. The list went on and on.
Since Rhett Butler, I’ve had more literary crushes. When I saw Gregory Peck as Atticus Fitch, I gulped bitter coffee and re-read To Kill A Mockingbird. Righteousness is sexy. Atticus would totally have a chance. Oh and remember the ULTIMATE lit crush of so many women (and some men)? Mr. Darcy? He made me swoon in ways even a real English man I dated could not make me swoon. In pop lit, I fell for Tom, the adopted son-turned-lawyer in Mario Puzo’s The Godfather. I have a thing for studious types. I'll stop here. Now it’s your turn. 

Write about your first literary crush for ten minutes, including your sensory detail. Then post your story below. You could win a free writing class!

No comments: