Join the Writing Pad community!

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Writing Prompt: Funny Dating Stories


By Marilyn Friedman and Lorinda Toledo

We're so excited! A Night of Sexy Stories at Writing Pad is almost here! Join us  for an evening of hilarious tales about love, relationships, and sex performed by writers who are also successful actors!

DC Pierson ("Community," "Weeds"), Lauren Weedman ("Hung", "The Five Year Engagement"), Annabelle Gurwitch (Host of "Dinner and a Movie", "Fired"), Brian Finkelstein (Host of "The Moth"), Jeff Kahn ("The Ben Stiller Show"), and Iris Bahr ("Curb Your Enthusiasm") are performing! Plus, we'll be serving special summer-themed cocktails and snacks. What could be sexier than that?

Scroll down for your writing prompt and to check out our upcoming classes. Hope to see you soon!

Classes Starting July 21-25
Mini Novel Writing Bootcamp
What Do You Think? Writing the Op-Ed or Cultural Essay
Micro Short Stories: The Art of Flash Fiction
You've Been Featured: Writing The Mini-Feature or Interview

Writing Pad Events
Writers With Drinks
A Sexy Summer Night At Writing Pad

Other Journalism/Web Writing Classes
From Cheng Du to Timbuktu: A Travel Writing Workshop 
#FameSuccessLove: Harnessing The Power of Twitter
You In 1200 Words: Writing and Publishing The Personal Essay (5 Wk Intensive)

Other Fiction/Memoir Classes
A Novel Approach: Mastering The Long Form Story
It's Story Time: Storytelling For Kids
Get Your Book Published
Short Story Reboot: Rescuing Your Crashed Creation
Addictive Fiction: Writing The Knock Out Novel

Other Writing For Actors Classes
Storytelling Bootcamp

Other Screenwriting Classes
Writing A Pilot That Can Fly (Weekend Intensive)
Mini Screenwriting Bootcamp






Writing Prompt: Going on dates can seem like an exercise in embarrassment. We've all tripped and fallen, dribbled red wine on our white clothes, or passed gas at an inopportune moment. And even after you're in a relationship, there's still plenty of opportunities to humiliate yourself -- or end up laughing at your blushing beau!

Make a list of 3 dates or moments in your relationship when something embarrassing, crazy or funny happened. Pick one. Add a sensory detail (smell, taste, sound, touch). Now, write for 10 minutes about this funny incident. Make sure to include the sensory detail and post your story in the comments of this blog to be entered into the July/August comment contest for a free class!

Although it was not funny in the moment, Marilyn is going to write about the man who will be forever known as Valentine's Day Killer in her dating history book. He not only neglected to buy her even a card for Valentine's Day, he mauled this once happy, romantic holiday by getting hysterical when confronted and begging her to go with him to his shrink so she could explain why he was such a thoughtless jerk.

What is your embarrassing date or relationship story? Write about it for 10 minutes, and you could win a free class!

2 comments:

Keyra Gonzalez said...

I’m in the bathroom applying one last coat of gloss on my lips when I hear a knock at the door. That’s him. I’m a little nervous. I’ve done this before so I shouldn’t be nervous, but I’ am. I answer the door and smile. “Shall we go?” he says as he takes my hand. He’s cute. Not my type, but cute. I’ve never met a tattoo artist that has no tattoos but theres a first for everything I remind myself.

Light conversation engages my senses as he drives us to Bono’s Restaurant in Belmont Shore. I also keep quietly reminding myself not to judge a man on the type of car he drives, even if he picks you up in a metallic blue PT Cruiser. I take a deep breath.

The sun sets over the pacific as we step inside the restaruant and are seated - a cozy two person table smack dab in the center of the dining room. We order drinks and pick appetizers to begin, eager on scoping each other out and sizing each other up on this promising Saturday night. I order a cosmopolitan. He orders a whiskey sour. I order Ahi Tartare. He orders seared scallops. He talks about his art, his career. I talk about my travels, my adventures. We knock a few back in between.

Meanwhile, the appetizers arrive. We order our third round, nervousness subsides and we start to dig in. My eyes flicker between my drink, his eyes, my plate.. I look around calmly, take in the ambiance. Dim lighting, faces aglow in conversation and candlelight, every table surrounding us is packed. Then I look over at him as he cuts into a glistening seared, plump scallop with his fork and knife and brings a morsel up to his mouth, agape. He closes his mouth around the white meat and starts to chew. His eyes light up. He chews once and then stops. Chews once more. Stops. Rolls the bit around in his mouth before he chews again and upon swallowing it, looks up at me and states very firmly and loud enough for all the restaurant and world to hear “Hmmm.. tastes like I’m chewing on a big clit!”

I sink into my chair. Never again will I let a man pick me up for a date in a metallic blue PT Cruiser.

Elizabeth J. Neal said...

It's been a chilly couple of days here in LA! Get cozy with your muse at Writing Pad in one of our wonderful February or March classes (see below for a full list). http://webcamcareer.com